Twitter took down video tributes to George Floyd tweeted by the Trump campaign over a copyright complaint on Thursday, sparking the latest dustup between the social media company and President Donald Trump to draw the ire of him and his allies.
The pair of tweets posted by the @TeamTrump and @TrumpWarRoom 2020 campaign accounts on Wednesday included videos narrated by Trump discussing Floyd’s death in Minneapolis, which the president calls a “grave tragedy” that “should never have happened.”
The nearly four-minute long video takes a more political turn one minute in, with Trump railing against activist group antifa and “other radical left-wing groups” for what he described as “terrorizing the innocent” at the nationwide protests in the wake of Floyd’s death.
Twitter left up the posts but removed the videos and placed an overlay on them that reads, “This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner.”
Twitter spokesperson Lauren Alexander said it took the action because of a copyright complaint under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The company did not provide further details.
A third-party research firm that tracks copyright complaints, Lumen Database, said the notice originated from the Law Office of Sam Koolaq in Burbank, Calif., but provided no further details.
Trump’s campaign blasted the move in a tweet Thursday. “Twitter and @Jack are censoring this uplifting and unifying message from President Trump after the #GeorgeFloyd tragedy,” the campaign tweeted from the @TeamTrump account.
The incident comes as Trump has ratcheted up his public feud with Twitter after the company slapped fact-checking and warning labels on some of his tweets about voting fraud and the Floyd protests last week.
Twitter took the same action last year against a post by Trump’s personal account that included a video that pulled footage from a music video by rock band Nickelback.