Ifako residents avert fire outbreak


The good people of Abanikanda Street in Ifako-Ijaiye Local Government area on Wednesday in a concerted effort averted what could have been a serious fire disaster within their neighbourhood.

Information revealed that fire started from one of the shops on George Olatunji Street, by Abanikanda at about 12 midnight. Residents had perceived something burning from their various apartments, and further observed that smoke had filled the air. On getting out, the fire was from a local food shop and had spread to an alcohol shop.

Residents of nearby houses put in a lot of efforts to quench the fire, women, children and men fetched water to the scene and provided detergents to be added to the water, while waiting for the arrival of the Fire Service whom they have called earlier.

At the scene, People & Politics observed that those that had gone to bed woke to the disturbing alert of the inferno and quickly rushed out to lend support to the rescue team. The joint effort of all old and young led to the salvage.

Men of the Lagos State Fire Service later arrived in company of Police men and Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA). The fire was completely put off by the fire fighters.

In a chat with People & Politics, Mr Ayomide Fashina said he appreciate the show of love of the residents in the neighbourhood. “Everyone surprised me, no sooner that we observed the smoke, people came en-masse, both tenants and landlords. They saved the day, these people are wonderful, there can’t be a better neighbour, and a better neighbourhood”, he said.

At the time of filing this report, the cause of the fire has not been ascertained.


Related Post