Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, on Monday, said enough is enough, that Nigerian government would take definitive measures in the aftermath of xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
On his verified Twitter handle, the foreign minister called the attackers, “mindless criminals” and said police intervention was “ineffective”, which is not acceptable to Nigerian government.
Onyeama tweeted, “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”
Latest attacks on foreigners (Nigerians especially) in South Africa started last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria. It was speculated that the alleged killer was a Nigerian, which sparked protests, looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses. Police brought it under control.
However, the President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo on Monday said that the attacks began again on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.
He said Nigerians have lost businesses and properties to the activities of the mob.